Start strategies for each faction?

10 years ago
LCcmdrLCcmdr Senior LieutenantPosts: 103 ✭✭✭
I've logged a number of hours playing as both factions but have become frustrated at how linear each faction MUST start in order to have a good chance (e.g., 2 Cons, Molotov upgrade, 2 Cons; or Gren, HMG42, 2 Grens).

What am I missing here?

When I try starting with Penals, I get overwhelmed with Wehrmacht armor. When I start with Maxim, it's Wehrmacht mortar, ad infinitum.... Oh, and the rifle nades of the Grenadier squads are more often than not really effective--as is mortar one-shotting already damaged squads. It's maddening!

As Wehrmacht, the MP drain in the early to mid game is atrocious, leaving me unable to build T2 tanks. If I build caches, I lose territory due to inadequate squads. If I build squads, I get plastered with Soviet combined arms that blob/swarm my too thin defensive lines.

Comments

10 years ago
    Vermillion_HawkVermillio… Major Posts: 441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penal battalions, I find, are only good when they're supported by other elite infantry, namely, Guards, so if you're looking to go Penals expect to go all in for infantry until you can get SU-85s, but in exchange for this all-in mentality you get access to the Soviet's (in my opinion) best anti-infantry squad. Satchel charges, while costing quite a bit, can kill MGs in buildings instantly if you place the satchel by the exit so that if they're quick, they still die, and flamethrowers are obviously quite good on them. A mass of Guards can help to turn back vehicles and even Panzer IVs and Ostwinds. Other than that, though, I will agree that Penals can be very risky to use.
    10 years ago
    KanonKanon Senior Lieutenant Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    these are my BO
    as soviets, for middle-low skilled player simply conscript spam. 4 or 5 conscripts, upgrade molotovs after 3rd conscript, at nades if needed. Never use your conscript as an huge infantry blob, attack your enemy from every possible direction, use cover, don't run into static enemy units, use molotov to force grenadiers out of cover or to take down mgs. U will have lot of capping power, so cap every territory u can, fight with lot of flanks to force your enemy to retreat and cap/decap every enemy territory. For middle- late game i suggest to get t2 if u are going t3 ( you will need AT guns to take down enemy tanks, t3 is a good choice if ur opponent play with lot of infantry) get t4 if u expect german armors.

this other strategy needs more micro to be effective.
    2 conscripts start, cap a strategic point with ur first engineers squad, then retreat and build t1. get another conscript squad and a sniper. The gameplay is similar to the first strategy, sniper will be ur jolly unit. Don't lose him!, always keep him at max range, shot and change position to avoid rifle nades. Get a doctrine with guards and use them to take down scout cars. I often play with that doctrine with guards and t34/85, so i simply play with t1 until i get t34/85. U can get some penals if u need more AI power, if your game is not going well get t4 and su85 to take down german tanks.

as german i usually play with 2 grenadiers start and mg. If u are playing vs heavy t2 (maxims, mortars) get a sniper or a mortar. U can build another mg vs conscipt spam or another grenadier squad if u need more mobility. Always use ur mg with ur grenadiers, move it often to support your attacks, keep your grenadiers near the mg to protect it from conscripts flanks.
    u can get t2 for paks, ht or pg grens, depending on what u expect from soviet player. if u did everything well u can also get a fast t3 for panzers and stugs, note that u will be vulnerable to shock troopers since u don't have pgs, if u get t3 it's a good idea to back tech to t2 to handle shock troopers with panzergrenadiers. Don't go t4 if u built t3, it would be a waste of resources. T3 works well with elephant/tigers doctrines. Get stugs as at tank, panzers if u need multirole tanks.
    If u decide to get t4 u will have a stronger late game ( panther and brumbarr) but your middle game will be harder
    10 years ago
    James HaleJames Hale Beta Tester Posts: 2,026
    Depends on my mood and which commander I'm likely to go for, but generally:

Germans
    • Immediate T1
    • 2x Grenadier
    • 2x HMG
    • 1x Mortar
    • T2
    Sometimes I'll substitute that for 3x Grenadier and 1x HMG, particularly if I'll be using an Officer. I rarely go 2x Pioneer.

Cap the nearest points to me with my starting Pioneers, then send the Grenadiers to the nearest VP (capping en route); I will usually train another Pioneer squad later on to speed up mine-laying.

Soviets
    • Immediate T1 + 1x Combat Engineer
    • 3x Conscript
    • 1x Scout Car
    • T3
    The Soviets have much more versatility in their opening strategy for obvious reasons, so my usual alternatives are:
    • Immediate T1
    • 4x Conscript
    • 1x Scout Car OR Anti-tank Grenades
    • T3
    • Immediate T1 + 1x Combat Engineer
    • 3x Penal Battalion
    • Field Infirmary
    • T4
    That looks about right, with some variations.

A pair of Combat Engineer squads will comfortably win your first Pioneer engagement, and usually fend off a Grenadier squad if in cover (they won't have rifle 'nades until phase 2) and so it's a nice strategy for aggressive capping. You can then upgrade them later if you wish, and they're also very good at fast mine-laying. Personally I find CEs to be a better investment than Pios overall, but that could just be down to my playstyle. I have started experimenting with T2 a bit more nowadays, and especially if I want an early ZiS, or fancy using Maxims to cut off bridges or shallows, but generally I go T1.
    10 years ago
    HmortierHmortier Junior Lieutenant Posts: 9
    My favourite Ostheer play goes as follows:

T1: gren gren gren mortar OR gren gren mg mortar (depending on map)

T2; pgren & half-track: use the half-track for reinforcement only! Dropping medical supplies around your half-track basically turns it into an fully operational Soviet HQ close to the line of scrimmage.
    Use the Luftwaffe Supply Doctrine and call in 50 fuel asap

T3: P4, P4

Getting a second pgrens squad when possible is always a good idea.

From that point on I try to drop in ammo from time to time so I can use abilities, upgrades and doctrinal abilities as much as I want.

I play very aggressively and try to cut off and harass the enemy on every occasion I get. Whether or not to go T4 is up to the situation and cannot be predicted, but as with every strategy, changes may be needed when the battle unfolds (eg. getting a scout car when he's using snipers etc).

Good luck and happy hunting!
    10 years ago
    IkyIky Captain Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    you can always go
    3x osstruppen
    1x Pioner
    then
    T1
    HMG
    mortar
    bunker bunker bunker bunker =P

go as far as possible and bunker yourself then stedily build better troops.
    Works every time, well mostly, at least you can count on Osstruppen, no really you can