CoH2 Technical FAQ

10 years ago
NounNoun Relic Community ManagerPosts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭
Q: What kind of computer do I need to play Company of Heroes 2?
A: CoH 2's minimum specifications are:

2GB RAM
2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo or equivalent
512MB Direct3D 10 capable video card (GeForce 8800 GT or Radeon HD 2900XT)
32bit Vista
Broadband Internet connection
30GB free Hard disc space

Q: What does the minimum spec to run the game mean?
A: It means it is the minimum hardware and software required to run and enjoy the game at minimum settings at reasonable speed. While the game will run on this hardware fast enough to enjoy the game, graphics quality and performance will take a hit and it is recommended to run the game with faster and more recent hardware and software for a more optimal experience.

Q. Will the game run on a PC lower than the minimum spec?
A. No, the game is not guaranteed to run or supported to run on PCs below the minimum spec

Q: What ports does CoH2 use?
A: In addition to the standard steam ports listed at https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711 , CoH2 uses port 8443.

Q: How do I update my drivers?
A. Information on updating drivers is located here: http://community.companyofheroes.com...ny-of-Heroes-2

Q. Does the game support DirectX9 (Dx9) ?
A. No, The game requires DirectX10 level hardware as a minimum, and uses the DirectX11 API to support both Dx10 and Dx11 feature sets.

Q. Does the game support windows XP?
A. No, Windows XP only supports Dx9 and the game only supports Dx10/Dx11

Q. What is compatibility mode, why is the game running in that mode and how to get rid of it?
A. Compatibility mode means windows set a program to run in a mode that emulates a previous version of the operating system installed on your PC. For example in windows 7 compatibility mode can make the program think it is running under vista or windows XP instead.

A program get set to run by compatibility mode either explicitly by the user or most of the time by windows itself without notification if it determines that the program is stuck, crashed or many other not clearly defined reasons. Sometimes windows will show that a program is set in compatibility mode in the UI for it but sometimes it will not show that a program is in compatibility mode even though it is.

When the game complains about being in compatibility mode it means either the game or steam was set in compatibility mode by windows. This causes all sort of problems and is not a supported way to run the game or steam. To make sure neither the game or steam are in compatibility mode you must do the following:

1. Close Steam and COH2 (completely exit steam)
2. Go to the steam folder
a. Select the steam.exe file (click once)
b. Right click on the steam.exe file select properties from the menu
i. Go to the compatibility tab
ii. Make sure everything is unchecked, if anything is checked uncheck it and click apply (don’t close the dialog yet)
iii. Click on the “change settings for all users” button”
1. On the new dialog make sure everything is unchecked, if anything is checked uncheck it and click apply, then click ok to close the dialog
iv. Click ok to close the steam.exe properties dialog
3. Go to the COH2 installation folder (usually under your steam folder: steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2)
a. Select the RelicCOH2.exe file (click once)
b. Right click on the RelicCOH2.exe file select properties from the menu
i. Go to the compatibility tab
ii. Make sure everything is unchecked, if anything is checked uncheck it and click apply (don’t close the dialog yet)
iii. Click on the “change settings for all users” button”
1. On the new dialog make sure everything is unchecked, if anything is checked uncheck it and click apply, then click ok to close the dialog
iv. Click ok to close the steam.exe properties dialog
4. Start Steam
5. Run COH2

If after this you still get the compatibility mode warning then it means windows set the compatibility mode in a registry key that can't be toggled off with the UI. In that case the only way to stop the game or steam running in compatibility mode is to delete the corresponding registry entries. To remove the steam and coh2 compatibility mode registry keys manually do the following:
6. Completely exit COH2 and Steam
7. Run regedit (start menu -> run -> regedit )
8. Back up your registry just in case you delete or change the wrong key (use export)
9. Check the following locations for any entries mentioning RelicCOH2.exe or Steam.exe and delete the keys inside this locations that mention these programs (in the right panel of regedit right click on the line with the .exe and select delete )
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
10. Exit regedit
11. Start Steam
12. Run COH2

Comments

10 years ago
    NounNoun Relic Community Manager Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q. Where and how to ask for technical support?
    A. SEGA provides technical support for our game. Visit help.sega.com

To report bugs, please post them in the forum: http://community.companyofheroes.com/forums/coh-2-bug-squashing

To be able to identify the issue you’re having faster if it is a technical problem please post your game warnings.log and dxdiag files.

Q. Where is the game warnings.log file?
    A. The game warnings.log file of the last time you ran the game is located in your windows user Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2 folder.

Q. How to generate a dxdiag file?
    A. Go to the windows start menu -> run type dxdiag.exe and press enter, in that program press save all information and it will generate a dxdiag.txt file with information about what hardware is installed on your PC and corresponding drivers versions.

Q. Do the game warnings.log file or dxdiag file will reveal any confidential information about my game user or steam information or any confidential information on my PC?
    A. No, these files only contain information about issues in the game, what hardware is the game detecting and what hardware and driver versions are installed on your PC

Q. How to take an screenshot in game and where does it end up?
    A. Just press the Print-screen key on your keyboard, screenshots are saved by default in your windows user Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\screenshots folder.

Q. What programs and versions of them are known to conflict with the game if running at the same time?
    A. Teamspeak (versions prior to 3.0.10.1) , bandicam, MSI overdrive, teamviewer, Android Bluestacks Emulator and Asus Smart Doctor

Q. What do the Antialias settings mean?
    A.
    Off = no antialiasing
    Low = FXAA
    Medium = 150% SSAA + FXAA
    High = 200% SSAA + FXAA

Q. Why is the game running so slow with Antialias at maximum, if it runs fine with AA off or low ?
    A. Medium and High settings mean that the game will render at a resolution way higher than you selected and then scale that down to show it on the screen, these modes
    Require really powerful graphics cards as it could be rendering up to 4 times the amount of pixel of your selected resolution. For example, if your resolution is 1080p (1920x1080) antialiasing high means it will be rendering actually at a 3840 x 2160 resolution!

Q. Why is the mouse cursor invisible or a black square?
    A. The game is very likely running in compatibility mode, please make sure the game is not running in compatibility mode.
    Also on windows vista make sure windows is not set to use very large icons, as it is a known vista issue with fullscreen programs and large cursors.

Q. Why is the game warning me about possible issues when I set everything to the highest possible setting on my PC but the game still runs fine?

A. The game produces that warning as the game detected that there was not enough ram, video memory, resources or that the GPU might not run at optimal performance your PC using those settings. Game stability and performance is not guaranteed in that case as the game could end up running out of memory or having a very noticeable performance drop.

Q. Why is the game crashing or hanging after setting options higher?
    A. There are not enough resources in your PC or your hardware is not fast enough to run the game at those settings. This means the game might have literally run out of physical memory or due to reduced performance windows might automatically decide that the program is stuck and takes out access to the graphics card making the program crash. Please reduce your settings to avoid this situation.

Q. Why if all my other favorite (Dx9) games run really fast on my PC, COH2 is slow, crashes or even refuses to run?
    A. COH2 is a Dx10/Dx11 only game with lots of high quality models and textures, as well as many advanced graphics features like SSAO, volumetric world ambient occlusion, FXAA, etc… that places much higher pressure on the hardware than older games including the original COH1. Please make sure that your machine is at par or above min spec, for more information look into the sections of this faq about the minspec.

Q. Why if COH1 runs really fast on my PC, COH2 doesn’t run or is very slow?
    A. COH2 is a Dx10/Dx11 only game with lots of high quality models and textures, as well as many advanced graphics features like SSAO, volumetric world ambient occlusion, FXAA, etc… that places much higher pressure on the hardware than older games including the original COH1. Please make sure that your machine is at par or above min spec, for more information look into the sections of this faq about the minspec.

Q. Why the game complains about being an out of date version?
    A. Please restart Steam so it starts downloading and patching the game to a newer version.

Q. How do I force the game to start in windowed mode?
    A. Use the command line parameter –window to run the game, if you are launching the game from steam, right click in the game, select properties, and in then click in the “set launch options” and place the command line parameters you want to pass to the game in there.

Q: Does CoH 2 Support SLI/Crossfire?
    A: Crossfire and SLI owners are fully supported to run Company of Heroes 2 with the latest drivers and application profiles. Conflicts with how our ColdTech works and how multi-gpu solutions operate introduce an overhead that exceeds the benefit of using the additional GPUs. After consulting with chipset designers we made the decision to have them disable support for multiple GPUs.

Q: I have issues connecting to the game.
    A: Make sure that any software that creates a firewall between your computer and the internet is turned off. An example may be Norton Anti-Virus.
    10 years ago
    Company of Heroes 2 Minimum Requirements

2GB RAM
    2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo or equivalent
    512MB Direct3D 10 capable video card (GeForce 8800 GT or Radeon HD 2900XT)
    32bit Vista

COH2 Recomended Requirements

4GB RAM
    3Ghz Intel i5 quad core or equivalent
    1024 MB Direct3D 11 capable video card (GeForce GTX 470 or Radeon HD 5850)
    64bit Windows 7
    Microphone
    10 years ago
    These forums are not for technical support and are not monitored by technical support staff. If the development team or members of the community can help you out they will try, but that is not the purpose of these forums.

These forums are for discussing Company of Heroes 2 with other fans. We will provide support information when possible.

If you have a technical support issue please visit: help.sega.com

Thank you!
    10 years ago
    Q: Does running the game in windowed mode affect speeds?
    A: Yes, we've seen that running Company of Heroes 2 in windowed mode can have a negative affect on frames-per-second, especially on lower end machines. We recommend that if you're having issues with lag or fps you run the game in full screen.
    10 years ago
    Connecting to the Lobby Server:

The game will attempt to connect to the Company of Heroes 2 lobby server on boot, and stay connected for the entirety of your game session. If you get a connection error message when you first enter the main menu, it means you are failing to connect to this server. If you are unable to connect, here are some steps you can take to help troubleshoot it:
    1. Open a web browser and follow this link: https://coh2-lobby.reliclink.com/gam...on/checkstatus
      • It should bring you to a web page that says: ["ok"]
      • If it does not then you need to make sure that TCP port 443 is open
      • If it does work, the most likely issue is that your firewall and/or antivirus software is blocking COH2. To fix this either
    I. Whitelist the COH2 executable (RelicCoH2.exe) in your firewall and/or antivirus software
    II.Disable your firewall and/or antivirus software.

Connecting to the Battle Server:

The Battle Servers are what the game connects to when you host or join a custom or automatch game, and stays connect to for the duration of the game. If you get a connection error when entering the multiplayer setup screen, it means you are failing to connect to this server. If you are unable to connect, here are some steps you can take to help troubleshoot it:
    1. Whitelist the BattleServer IP: 54.209.64.161 (subject to change, we will update if it does)
    2. Open TCP Ports: 27015 – 27030
    Other Issues:

Game works fine at the beginning of a match, but later on, there starts to be an ever increasing amount of command lag:
    • This is a framerate/performance issue on your PC. With the battle servers, we don’t need to slow the entire game down if one player has a low framerate, instead that player will end up simulating behind other players. The fix to this issue is to turn down your graphics settings, and be sure your PC meets the minimum requirements to run the game.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

• © SEGA. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Relic Entertainment, the Relic Entertainment logo, Company of Heroes and the Company of Heroes logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. SEGA is registered in the US Patent and Trademark Office. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.