No account migration on new forums?

10 years ago
MeevinmanMeevinman LieutenantPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭
What the actual F***? Not only could you have preserved accounts previously used on the old forums, old threads could have been preserved also. What was the point? People had accounts on these forums for years, and now they're all gone, and for what? A flashier, slightly (which I use with as much discretion as possible) less buggy site.

Seriously, I'm sure I could have done a better job.

Comments

10 years ago
    GorbGorb Senior Lieutenant Posts: 65 ✭✭
    So, your team could have done a better job, perhaps ;)

That said, the reasons for the lack of migration were probably less due to technical limitations, but moreso due to data ownership and/or issues in transferring from ex-THQ to a Sega-owned setup (some of which could be technical in nature, but the essential point would be legal).

That's just a guess though. They could've just decided not to.
    10 years ago
    ValkyrieValkyrie General-Major Posts: 2,059
    I for one am glad that I got to pick a new nickname.

I honestly hope things don't end up being... As evil as they were.
    10 years ago
    ImperialDaneImperialD… Volunteer Moderator Posts: 1,583
    The likely cause was that the previous forums were a pile of crap. Seriously. They were built for CoHO, the guys who did it didn't exactly do a splendid job and then after CoHo got shut down the forums were gutted. Leaving something less than functional in it's wake.

I'm sure you could have done better. But would you have done it for free ? Stuff like this costs money. In the end they have to choose the option that makes the most sense for them.
    10 years ago
    NounNoun Relic Community Manager Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meevinman wrote: »
    What the actual F***? Not only could you have preserved accounts previously used on the old forums, old threads could have been preserved also. What was the point? People had accounts on these forums for years, and now they're all gone, and for what? A flashier, slightly (which I use with as much discretion as possible) less buggy site.

Seriously, I'm sure I could have done a better job.

We announced over a month ago that we were going to make the transition to a new forum system and that if anyone wanted to archive anything they had created that they should do that then.

Bringing old forum data over to the new site was continually holding us back for legal reasons, since the storage of the data would have to be moved across international borders which is still an issue even in this digital age, and as Gorb pointed out since the data was owned by THQ that was also tricky.

Add to that the fact that the old forums were a mess at the end, and they were a completely custom design not created to export data to a new forum.

Was it possible. Yes, we could have managed it with enough time and money, but we felt that moving to a new forum would have been better done now than months in the future and that the cost was not worth it to pursue that.
    10 years ago
    MeevinmanMeevinman Lieutenant Posts: 35 ✭✭✭✭
    Ok then, that's fair enough, my apologies for the way my post came across.