Matrix World in Flames is now live!

10 years ago
DudeDude Forum Funny GuyPosts: 572
Matrix World in Flames has finally launched. You can find product info here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/details/World.In.Flames

It is very pricey and not for the light at heart. It is a very in-depth strategic game covering all of World War II on a truly global scale. A full campaign game can last literally for months when played once or twice a week.

Units range from Armies to Corps to Divisions. It takes into account all of the combined arms as well as production, resources, and even politics.

Each turn is 2 months long, but due to a very innovative "impulse" system a turn can be as short as a few rounds or can last 10 or 12. This is a very important aspect to take into account as you plan ahead for your own personal Barbarosa or D-Day invasion. Weather impacts the game by climate region and convoys must be sent out and protected if you want to get those valuable resources back to your factories to produce those ships, tanks, and planes you so sorely need (watch out for those U-Boats).

The game is currently hotseat/solo playable. There is a dedicated multiplayer server, however they have experienced some difficulties due to optional rules choices in game. This from Erik Rutens, Director of Product Development and Business Relations:

This morning some new NetPlay issues were brought to my attention. Some of these are new bugs affecting areas that were previously tested and found working, others are bugs we hadn't found yet thanks to the remarkable combination of options, scenarios and player actions that WIF contains.

These issues will be our #1 priority and we expect to have an update available by the end of next week that resolves most or all of them. We're extremely confident in the solitaire/hotseat play and the NetPlay issues are not structural but rather related to rule/action/option cases during gameplay. We do not expect all customers to encounter these issues. We will address the known issues ASAP and any others as they come up. We're committed to prompt post-release support for WIF now and for years into the future.

WIF will also continue to improve through the post-release updates with new options, new features, up to 6 players for multiplayer and eventually AI, but our immediate priority will be addressing these recent NetPlay issues and making sure the NetPlay support works fully as intended.”

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3460159

"IMPORTANT NOTE: This title does not include an AI player in the initial release. It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames..."

Please post here if you have ever played the original board game or plan to play the new computer version. The basic original game has sold over 60,000 copies to date, many more than that if you count all the extensions and add ons.

P.S. I am not trying to detract from CoH or CoH2 in any way – I just spent over $30 on CoH2 add ons lol. This is just a great strategic WWII game that some of you may know or be interested in.

Please post if you know the game or plan to play it some time soon.

Thanks

It is very pricey and not for the light at heart. It is a very in-depth strategic game covering all of World War II on a truly global scale. A full campaign game can last literally for months when played once or twice a week.

Units range from Armies to Corps to Divisions. It takes into account all of the combined arms as well as production, resources, and even politics.

Each turn is 2 months long, but due to a very innovative "impulse" system a turn can be as short as a few rounds or can last 10 or 12. This is a very important aspect to take into account as you plan ahead for your own personal Barbarosa or D-Day invasion. Weather impacts the game by climate region and convoys must be sent out and protected if you want to get those valuable resources back to your factories to produce those ships, tanks, and planes you so sorely need (watch out for those U-Boats).

The game is currently hotseat/solo playable. There is a dedicated multiplayer server, however they have experienced some difficulties due to optional rules choices in game. This from Erik Rutens, Director of Product Development and Business Relations:

This morning some new NetPlay issues were brought to my attention. Some of these are new bugs affecting areas that were previously tested and found working, others are bugs we hadn't found yet thanks to the remarkable combination of options, scenarios and player actions that WIF contains.

These issues will be our #1 priority and we expect to have an update available by the end of next week that resolves most or all of them. We're extremely confident in the solitaire/hotseat play and the NetPlay issues are not structural but rather related to rule/action/option cases during gameplay. We do not expect all customers to encounter these issues. We will address the known issues ASAP and any others as they come up. We're committed to prompt post-release support for WIF now and for years into the future.

WIF will also continue to improve through the post-release updates with new options, new features, up to 6 players for multiplayer and eventually AI, but our immediate priority will be addressing these recent NetPlay issues and making sure the NetPlay support works fully as intended.”

"IMPORTANT NOTE: This title does not include an AI player in the initial release. It is designed as a computerized, automated and online multiplayer-capable World in Flames..."

Please post here if you have ever played the original board game or plan to play the new computer version. The basic original game has sold over 60,000 copies to date, many more than that if you count all the extensions and add ons.

P.S. I am not trying to detract from CoH or CoH2 in any way – I just spent over $30 on CoH2 add ons lol. This is just a great strategic WWII game that some of you may know or be interested in.

Thanks

Comments

10 years ago
    DudeDude Forum Funny Guy Posts: 572

Thanks

10 years ago
    James HaleJames Hale Beta Tester Posts: 2,026
    I take it you're a member of their development team?
    10 years ago
    DudeDude Forum Funny Guy Posts: 572
    I have been an active beta participant for quite some time now. I have also played the board game version in its many iterations over the years with great pleasure. Campaign games would often last 6 months or more to finish (cat owners beware lol). Whether you purchase the game or not, it's still worth a look at imo. Btw, sorry for the formatting issues. The new forum is really wonky on my computer and browser. Hoping to get a new one soon. Anybody here ever played WIF or are planning to play MWIF?
    10 years ago
    James HaleJames Hale Beta Tester Posts: 2,026
    I think it would be appreciated if you combined what you wanted to say into one post, and then deleted the next two.