Hit the dirt - worth it?

10 years ago
Muad'DibMuad'Dib LieutenantPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭
Since the ability was nerfed a couple of patches ago, it provides, as far as I know, the equivalent of light cover to squads, non-stacking. So, for squads that are already in any kind of cover, it's useless.
I find myself never using it because it's almost always quicker, easier and less risky to simply move the squad to cover, which, especially with late game craters, is relatively abundant.
Any ideas for good uses of HTD?

Comments

10 years ago
    SergeantKokiSergeantK… Captain Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    Well back when I used "Hit the dirt" wich was after it was nerfed, I mostly used it in early games to fight against Mgs.
    I used urahh to get as close as possible and then used HTD and the MG had nearly no chance if you had a second conscript squad with you.
    But I think the ability has been overnerfed.
    I think soviet players deserve to have a green cover when they expose their troops to grenades and artillerie with no other option to avoid it then retreating(wich obivously lets your opponent attack easier).
    10 years ago
    SerrithSerrith Junior Lieutenant Posts: 787
    Hmmm I like seeing it when it's used effectively and I do see it VERY rarely, but to be honest, for the most part I consider it a relatively worthless commander ability, its just too situational. perhaps if the cooldown on hit the dirt was reduced it might be more viable, but atm its a good way of ensuring your conscripts soon and untimely retreat.
    10 years ago
    bilsantubilsantu Captain 2nd Rank Posts: 504
    If there are many panzers on the field, it's plain suicide with the current input lag + lag. HTD got nerfed too much in my opinion.
    10 years ago
    James HaleJames Hale Beta Tester Posts: 2,026
    I think giving squads who've hit the dirt a small accuracy and RoF increase would be a good idea. They're in light cover and able to operate their rifles more effectively, so a x1.2 buff would perhaps be viable. After all, it does make them more vulnerable to rifle grenades, mortars and flamethrowers.
    10 years ago
    VutherVuther Major Posts: 1,946
    James Hale wrote: »
    I think giving squads who've hit the dirt a small accuracy and RoF increase would be a good idea. They're in light cover and able to operate their rifles more effectively, so a x1.2 buff would perhaps be viable. After all, it does make them more vulnerable to rifle grenades, mortars and flamethrowers.
    I also think this would be a good way to buff the ability while also feeling logical and avoiding them being immune to bullets like they were before (it stacked with heavy cover right?). Alternatively, if an accuracy and/or RoF increase ends up being too good off the bat, the accuracy and/or RoF buff could appear if the squad is already in light cover (and would logically because so from them resting their weapons on small inclines and objects). I feel like a current big thing about the abilities' feel is that there's just so much light cover once tanks hit the field and tear apart the ground along with all the other indirect fire options used by that point, being able to do it gets very superfluous aside from (as previously mentioned above) tanking a suppression unit with it.