Tiger Ace and Urban Maps

10 years ago
CeorlCeorl Senior LieutenantPosts: 64 ✭✭
Besides mines anyone have anything? I recently played on an Urban where my Soviet side had a slight edge in map control throughout most of the game, enough to get the German VP down to 17 while we were around 300, until the Tiger Ace showed up and slaughtered our AT screen (who had serious trouble moving and redeploying while the Ace just mothershiped us to death) before retreating behind buildings to repair. SU 85s and ZIS appear unable to handle the thing given the restricted LOS and deployment problems. The only potential solution that occurs to me is to use KV-2s in siege mode with infantry spotters.

Comments

10 years ago
    daspoulosdaspoulos Junior Lieutenant Posts: 2,609
    I find that if the soviet player caps the points he is helpless due to no resource income. Charge scripts blow engine, t34 ram. This isn't impossible. Just don't think regular combat will solve the situation.
    10 years ago
    ArcasterArcaster Senior Lieutenant Posts: 72 ✭✭
    I play mostly German and I make good use of the Elite Troops Doctrine. Yes, Tiger Ace is generally an "I win" button, and I've never lost one (out of at least 30 deployments in multiplayer). Right before I deploy it, when I'm getting near 16 CP, I will reinforce only and start stockpiling manpower, typically to 1000. I'll keep munitions around 120-200, and I ignore fuel. People often try to target my pioneers, but I always vet them with the commander ability before I call the Ace so that they don't take extra damage while repairing. I'll have one or two vet 3 pioneer squads. At this point, you can target my pioneers all you want, but I'll always be able to retreat them in time to reinforce, and since vet 3 repairs quicker, you'll never get my Tiger Ace below 80% so that I can always ensure it stays at full health/no engine/gun damage. You better find a new strategy.

The only time I've seen my Ace below half health was from two SU-85's and a ZiS AT gun, head on. The Ace still destroyed all 3 of them on its own without support, so I guess you need at least 3 SU-85's or a few more ZiS (since they don't penetrate near as well).
    10 years ago
    SerrithSerrith Junior Lieutenant Posts: 787
    Well the elite troops doctrine is really powerful not just because of the ace, but because of the combination of incredibly powerful abilities. Tiger Ace is certainly very difficult especially if you are only maintaining a stalemate- the biggest issue I have is the tiger ace breaking the front line, and not having enough time to put out units to counter it, before it drives into your base and blows up your buildings. If you do not get a lucky t-34 ram on its butt disabling its gun and engine, you can just kiss the match goodbye, resource drain or not. Tiger Ace rolls AT guns and SU-85s pretty easily.

Ive heard all the usual drivel, "Spam mines" "throw AT grenades" "Spam T-34 Ram!!" "Know its coming and prepare for it"
    The thing is, without the Tiger Ace, the elite troops doctrine is ALREADY really strong, the veteran troops upgrade being useable into the lategame, so while you are dealing with a full fledged doctrine in of itself, there is not much room to prepare for the tiger ace. First off, if you do not get Tier 3, the most reliable way to stop the tiger ace (t-34 ram) is out, meaning tier 4 is essentially off limits. Considering the fact that soviets are already limited by tier cost restrictions, this effectively makes them very very linear, and the veteran troops of course increases german capability to counter any soviet early game strats.
    10 years ago
    TachikomaticTachikoma… Captain Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice would be to lay mines in the hopes of crippling it and then just ignore it. You'll get a much better return on your units by killing everything else the enemy has. I recently had a 3v3 on Rostov using the tiger ace, all I had was a pioneer squad and a panther with no resources left, losing the game 30 - 300+, and the amount of material thrown at it could've been used elsewhere to win the game. It's not that fast, I could really only defend two of the VPs with a lot of travel in between but because one of them was the VP in the city I could destroy the enemy at leisure without fear of getting killed. Smoke and buildings make it unkillable, but the narrow roads are perfect terrain for mines. Luckily I didn't hit one until the game was nearly won, but but during that time it was useless.

It frustrates me that for once Soviets get a decent thematic commander (Industry) but it's balanced out by a ridiculously over the top German one. Zem Germans always need to be on top for some reason. The way I see it, Industry is like the Opel Blitz doctrine for Soviets but (once again) less versatile.
    10 years ago
    Jarms48Jarms48 Lieutenant Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken down a few Tiger Aces (or at least won the game they were present in), each time with a combination of Conscripts and T-34/85s, or Conscripts and IS-2s. I routinely control the early game, securing the majority of the points and continuously harass enemy points. Forcing troops to retreat or just slow down their advances, and capture or neutralize points. By the time I see the Tiger Ace it's more about hunting down the remaining units, keeping a hold of those 2 victory points, and tying up that big boy. I'll constantly attack it with a pair of Conscript squads and supporting armour, AT grenades will hopefully destroy the engine, and the tank will take the fire as infantry advance into grenade range. If I don't get the desired effect, or if I do, I retreat, crew repair and reinforce my squads.

In the end you can still win the game by keeping hold of 2 of the 3 victory points, that Tiger Ace can't be everywhere at once. Just be wary of it attacking your base, have the base access roads/paths mined, and just continue with those harassing attacks. I've heard it said that Conscripts scale horribly in the late game, they are my primary infantry choice, that AT grenade just can't be passed up. The Molotov can prevent Grenadiers entering their own AT range, and can burn away AT gun members pretty quickly. They are a perfect screening troop for Soviet armour.

I'm not saying they're easy to fend off, oh gods no, these bastards are the tough. But good strategy, stalling tactics, and neutering the enemies remaining troops can still win you the game. The Tiger Ace is a do-or-die weapon, enemy resource income stops for ten minutes, that's ten minutes you have to take back ground.